The world has reacted angrily to the kidnap and murder of Jamal Khashoggi by the Saudi regime. He is believed to have been killed on Tuesday 2ndOctober at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul shortly after arriving to get official papers relating to his divorce. The Turkish reaction has, so far, been muted, confined to requests for more information about the Saudi journalist, access to the Consulate and determining his fate. The Americans have also shown measured displeasure while UK has (in the words of Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt) sought “urgent answers over Jamal Khashoggi”. He further added: “If media reports prove correct, we will treat the incident seriously – friendships depend on shared values.”On Sunday 7th October Amnesty International’s Middle East Director of Research, Lynn Maalouf, urged an independent probe into the case and said the perpetrators of the crime must be brought to justice, regardless of their position. AI stressed the murder is a major threat to human rights defenders and Saudi Arabia dissidents anywhere in the world. I urge the international community not to keep silent on the crackdown on Arab opposition and to exert pressure on Riyadh to provide a convincing clarification on Khashoggi’s murder.
Yesterday UN experts expressed their grave concern about the disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi, and called for a prompt independent and international investigation into the case. “We are deeply concerned at the disappearance of Mr. Khashoggi, and at the allegations of state-sponsored murder,” said the Chair-Rapporteur of the Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances, Bernard Duhaime, the UN Special Rapporteur on freedom of expression, David Kaye, and the UN Special Rapporteur on summary executions, Agnes Callamard. “An independent international investigation must immediately be launched into the events. Those responsible – perpetrators and masterminds – should be identified and brought to justice. We call on the Saudi and Turkish authorities to cooperate fully to resolve this case.
The Saudi regime may execute one of the Shia Muslim scholars on trumpeted charges. Sheikh Hassn Al Malki has languished behind bars for more than three years and faces 15 charges relating to his work as a scholar who reads history with critical eyes. He is falsely accused of instigating protests in Bahrain. He faces more than 15 charges mostly related to his work as a researcher in history. His critique of Islamic history has infuriated the rulers who prefer to preserve the distorted records of events which were written on orders of dictators and oppressors.
Continuing their policy of denying political prisoners proper medical care, Alkhalifa authorities in Bahrain are denying political prisoner Ali Hajji access to urgent medication. He is suffering various illnesses and needs urgent treatment. Other prisoners like Hassan Mushaima are also denied proper medical care. In recent weeks skin diseases have spread among the inmates and suspicions are rife that infectious diseases may have been spread intentionally by the regime’s torturers to inflict maximum pain on native Bahrainis.
As Bahrain’s economic situation deteriorates further, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates will soon sign an agreement to provide up to $10 billion (£7.7 billion) of financial support to Alkhalifa dictators.. “A Gulf decision at the highest levels was taken to start the execution steps for a programme to support the financial stability of Bahrain,” a diplomatic source was quoted as saying. Bahrain’s international bond prices and currency have come under pressure this year as the country runs fiscal and current account deficits caused by low oil prices, mismanagement and plundering of people’s wealth by the tribal dictators.
As the prospect of conducting a convincing election process recedes rapidly, Alkhalifa dictator has, once again, resorted to more repression, intimidation and revenge. Scores of native Bahraini youth have been rounded up and dumped at torture dungeons. Last week at least 20 were rounded up in vicious raids on homes in various locations. Among the new detainees are: Mahmooud Jaffar from Sitra, Mohammad Mushaima from Daith Town, Ali Hassan AlKhabbaz from Malikiya Town, Abdulla Al Sharqi (Jidhafs) and Ali AlAlwani from AlMusalla town.
The Alkhalifa pseudo-elections have been dealt many blows. The regime imposed tight control over the electoral register, banning any group or person who has opposed the tribal dictatorship and spending lavishly to promote their agents and servants to stand for “election” to give the false impression of wide support of this immoral process. Yesterday, Al Wefaq society called for total boycott of this political show which is void of substance, morality or political worthiness. Sheikh Hussain Al Daihi, Al Wefaq’s Deputy Secretary General, addressed a press conference in central London and declared not only the boycott by their society, but also called for a total boycott by the people. Political societies are banned from contesting.
Bahrain Freedom Movement